China University of Mining and Technology (CUMT) is one of the key comprehensive national universities under the direct administration of the China’s Ministry of Education. It is also one of the key universities listed in the national “211 project”, and Innovation Platform for Advantageous Disciplines of “985 project”.


Our history began in the early twentieth century, as one of the earliest institutions where China’s higher education in mining took shape. With over 100 years of imperial glory, CUMT hasborne witness to China’s history and vicissitudes of the times.CUMT was known as Jiaozuo School of Railroad and Mines which was founded by Peking Syndicate Limited in 1909. After moving 14 times from one place to another, renamed 12 times, it has finally got its present name asChina University of Mining and Technology. The history of our university is not only a mirror of its development, but also a miniature of modern higher education in mining in China. As the first higher learning institution in mining in China, CUMT’s development has always been closely linked with the destiny of the country and the ever-changing society.


Timeline

Jiaozuo School of Railroad and Mines (1909-1913)

CUMT grew out of Jiaozuo School of Railroad and Mines, which was established in 1909 by Peking Syndicate Limited and it was the first higher learning institution in mining in China.

点击查看原图

 

In 1915, the name was changed to “Fuzhong Coal Mining School” after three years of suspension of Jiaozuo School of Railroad and Mines. In 1919, the school was upgraded from a preparatory school to a special one, and renamed as Fuzhong Coal Mining Special School.

In the summer of 1921, Fuzhong Coal Mining Special School launched its four-year undergraduate program and changed its name to Fuzhong Coal Mining College. In 1925, Fuzhong Coal Mining College submitted a report to the Ministry of Education in Beijing for registration and was ratified in 1927.

点击查看原图

 


Private Jiaozuo Institute of Technology (1931-1938)

In July 1931, Fuzhong Coal Mining College was reshuffled to “Private Jiaozuo Institute of Technology” by the approval of Henan Provincial Government. In August 1933, the Ministry of Education of the National Government officially approved the application for the establishment of the Private Jiaozuo Institute of Technology. This was an essential turning point; therefore, the Private Jiaozuo Institute of Technology became the only private independent institute of technology in China.

 


National Northwest Institute of technology (1938-1946)

In July 1938, in order to pool faculty and equipment, consolidate and develop the engineering education, Ministry of Education of the National Government merged Jiaozuo Institute of Technology, National Peiyang Institute of Technology, National Peiping Institute of Technology, and NortheasternInstitute of Technology into the Northwest Institute of technology.

点击查看原图

Resuming school running in Henan (1946-1948)

In August 1946, approved and funded by the Ministry of Education of the National Government and Henan Provincial Government, Jiaozuo Institute of Technology resumed its school running and founded the department of Mining and Metallurgy in Guanlin, Henan Province. In September 1947, the War of Liberation was approaching Luoyang, thus Jiaozuo Institute of Technology moved to a temporary site in Heyang Street, Zhengzhou. At that time, the school was faced with poor conditions and could only manage its running.

 


Moving south to Suzhou (1948-1949)

From August to September in 1948, in accordance with the directive issued by the Ministry of Education, the school moved south to a temporary site in Pingjiang Road in Suzhou. On April 27th, 1949, after the liberation of Suzhou, Jiaozuo Institute of Technology was taken over by the East China People’s Government.


China Institute of Mining and Technology (CIMT) (1950-1953)


On September 1st, 1950, the Ministry of Fuel Industry appointed Zhu Xianmin (the acting deputy dean of Jiaozuo Institute of Technology) as the director of the Preparatory Office, Zhao Bin (the military representative of Kailuan Coal Mine Department) as deputy director. Since then, the first higher learning institution in the field of mining was born in Tianjin. On April 26th, 1951, China Institute of Mining and Technology held a grand opening ceremony and the founding conference in the Grand Theatre in Tianjin. This marked the beginning of the first higher learning institution in mining and the end of the Jiaozuo Institute of Technology.

In 1952,in a national readjustment of higher learning institutions, the mining engineering departments of Tsinghua University and the now-defunct Beiyang and Tangshan Railroad Universities were merged into CIMT. Thus, the school has gradually evolved into a mining-oriented educational pattern and established its dominant status in mining in China.

 


Beijing Institute of Mining and Technology (1953-1970)

In October and November 1952, the institute started school in Tianjin and Beijing campus respectively. In August 1953, the campuses in Tianjin and Beijing were merged in Beijing. On September 11th 1953, China Institute of Mining and Technology was renamed as Beijing Institute of Mining and Technology with the approval of the central people's government. In 1960, Beijing Institute of Mining and Technology was recognized as a key university in the nation.

点击查看原图

Sichuan Institute of Mining and Technology (1970-1979)

In 1970, Beijing Institute of Mining and Technology moved to Sichuan Province and was renamed the Sichuan Institute of Mining and Technology. On February 17th 1978, Sichuan Institute of Mining and Technology was recognized once again as a key university in the nation. On June 23rd 1978, with the approval of Ministry of Coal Industry, Sichuan Institute of Mining and Technology was renamed as China Institute of Mining and Technology.

点击查看原图

China Institute of Mining and Technology (1979-1988)

At the end of 1982, the main campus of China Institute of Mining and Technology moved to Xuzhou, putting to an end running school in Sanhuba in Sichuan and realizing the shift of key point in school management. China Institute of Mining and Technology is located in the southern suburb of Xuzhou, Jiangsu Province, with a campus area of 1469 hectares.

点击查看原图

China University of Mining and Technology (1988-)

On April 2nd, 1988, with the approval of State Education Commission, the institution was formally renamed the China University of Mining and Technology (CUMT). On May 11th, 1988, Deng Xiaoping inscribed the name of China University of Mining and Technology.


Beginning on June 30th, 2003, the construction of theNanhu campus of CUMT covers an area of 2,858 hectares with a floor space of 780,000 square meters. On November18th, 2007, the Nanhu campus of CUMT held its ceremony, celebrating the completion of main construction, as well as launched the preparation work to celebrate its Centennial Anniversary.